Today we are providing UPSC Civil Services Anthropology Paper preparation tips & strategies. Now we will teach you strategy of “How to Prepare UPSC Civil Services Anthropology Paper 2017″. This post is aimed to help you in forming your strategy for Anthropology optional for Civil Services Exam, considering its various aspects. Anthropology is the study of various aspects of humans within past and present societies. Social anthropology and cultural anthropology study the norms and values of societies. Linguistic anthropology studies how language affects social life. Biological or physical anthropology studies the biological development of humans.
How to Prepare UPSC Civil Services Anthropology Paper 2017
Step 1 : Know the Syllabus – Anthropology Paper
you should know about the Civil Services Anthropology Paper Syllabus.
Step 2 : Select the Best Reference Books for Anthropology Paper
Preparation of anthropology (mains)
It’s advisable to start anthro preparation as early as possible after the upsc preliminary examination and with focussed, systematic study one can complete the subject by end of august.
- P.Nath(preferred) /das for physical anthropology.Nath is very useful for misc topics also
- Social anthropology by majumdar/madan
- Makhan jha’s book of anthropology theories
- Indian anthropology by R.N. Sharma
- Indian anthropology by Nadeem Hasnan
About these Books
- is interesting but not commission exam oriented. Just keep glancing at it when u feel bored with other stuff thats more than enough. Do not waste time trying to cram it line by line.
- R.n.sharma is good for tribal topics, also get hold muniratnam sir’s notes plus do keep updating and make notes from min. Of tribal affairs websites wrt tribal legislations,schemes
- P.nath is good for the genetics /biology part
- Makhan Jha is an essential book as there are no good books available exclusively for theories) also make use of internet and prepare notes for theories given in union public service commission syllabus that are not in makhan jha.
- Das/nath havesimple diagrams for physical part but parts are not marked in both. There is a physical anthro book by r.n.sharma which has well marked parts but instead of buying that book just for diagrams,i suggest you see the topic in das/nath and then google the topic (eg. Neanderthal skull) you’l get beautiful diagrams.for diagrams on pre historic tools, ” an outline of indian prehistory ” by d.k.bhattacharya is good but again instead of getting the book you can get it from the internet. Most of my flow charts are result of my own thoughts- i just make a pictographic representation of the whole broad concept,didnt refer anywhere for it.
Step 3 : Prepare Important Topics
- Try to start preparation as soon as upsc preliminary examination are over(thats the reason for me posting now) instead of choosing it late and feeling sorry better start your preparation asap. I finished the whole thing in 4 months.
- Try attempting physical anthro based and theory based questions as much as possible.from what i know, socio based questions fetch lesser marks comparitively( i avoided questions like those on origin of language in the exam even though i knew it)
- When you come across a case study, note it down as use it at appropriate topics where you are expected to explain the concept
- Practice diagrams for physical part, diagrams will ultimately fetch us more marks
- Do not ignore theories part ,selective study is always dangerous
- Try to make good notes for theories and misc part as good material is not available in market.
- Keep updating the latest trends and developments in anthropology from newspaper/magazines and internet
Importance of diagrams in anthropology answer writing
- It’s more catchy and provides more information,saves examiner’s time also- if he finds your diagram to be very good, he’l be more inclined to like your description too.. So as far as physical anthro is concerned, neat diagrams will definitely give us an edge over others.. So practice diagrams
- By diagrams i meant anatomical -skull,vertebra,bones,teeth diagrams when we are asked to write about prehistoric man,also a good comparative diagram with modern man also can be given(depending on question).for questions on prehistoric stages you can give good diagrams of the tools used then, a rough picture of the habitat, some pictures of artefacts found etc.. Its easier to draw diagrams and then explain.
- Just read the theory part then spend 5 mins for looking at the diagram, then try and do a rough sketch.. 15 mins /day for the diagrams should be more than enough.. That too its only when you read the physical part..
- diagrams are important ( for physical anthro part only) because you can draw a picture and explain things easily than writing paras and paras( saves time too). It also shows that you know the concept better. Nobody will reduce your marks for not drawing, but you are bound to get more if u give neat sketches. So if you want really high scores then you have to pay attention to it.
- For non physical anthro part – give some pictorial additions – like a cycle(eg. Bonded labour question in 2010)/ flow chart- that way we have an edge over others
- Question : Is it required to draw skeletons and dentition for questions on neanderthals, australopithecines etc?? Answer. Yes.. Diagrams will definitely fetch you more marks..
- focussed preparation with good strategy and guidance will definitely succeed
Step 4 : Prepare Previous Question papers
How much time it takes to prepare?
4-5 months, if you study Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science 12-15 hours per week. This should be enough. Also, it depends on how much can you recall your graduation concepts.
Preparation approach for Anthropology
For both Paper 1 and Paper 2, One must make short and crisp notes on areas like Archaeology and Hominid Fossils. The Physical Anthropology of paper 1 is marks fetching, therefore questions from this area must be attempted in examination. Paper 2 has become dynamic for the last 2 years so keep watch on the current happening in newspapers which are related to the topics in Anthropology optional syllabus.
Efficiently use Internet for any clarification or derivative study for related topics or issues. Annual report published in the Ministry of Tribal Affairs and other governmental reports concerning with the welfare of SC, ST and minorities should be looked upon once.