Today we are providing UPSC Civil Services Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science Paper preparation tips & strategies. Now we will teach you strategy of “How to Prepare UPSC Civil Services Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science Paper 2017″. This post is aimed to help you in forming your strategy for Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science optional for Civil Services and Forest Services Exam, considering its various aspects.
Animal husbandry is the management and care of farm animals by humans, in which genetic qualities and behavior, considered to be advantageous to humans, are further developed. The term can refer to the practice of selectively breeding and raising livestock to promote desirable traits in animals for utility, sport, pleasure, or research.
Best Online Courses for UPSC Prelims and Mains 2018
Who should opt for Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science?
Anyone who has academic background in Agriculture, Life Sciences, Botany, Biomedical Sciences, Biotechnology, Zoology, Dairy and other related fields.
Any aspirant with no prior knowledge of Zoology should not opt it. He/She may score good in Paper I which is like general studies but Paper II becomes the eliminating factor if it is not covered exhaustively.
Why should one not opt for ‘Zoology’ instead?
If you have Zoology as your graduation or master’s subject then surely you should go with Zoology, but just in case if you don’t have interest in remembering all families characteristic features among others, then Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science is best optional for you.
Secondly, Paper II of Zoology and Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science is quite similar if you see the syllabus but if you analyse last year question papers, if you will see that questions in Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science are easy in comparison to ‘Zoology Paper II’.
Step 1 : Know the Syllabus
you should know about the Civil Services Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science Paper Syllabus.
Step 2 : Select the Best Reference Books for Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science
Recommended books for Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science :
- Books On Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science for IAS Exam
- Animal Husbandry by Gyan Deep Singh, Anmol Publishers,
- A Textbook Of Animal Husbandry by G C Banerjee, Oxford,
- Advanced Animal Nutrition by Reddy,Oxford
- Principles Of Animal Nutrition & Feed Technology, by D V Reddy, Oxford
- Animal Physiology by Kavita Juneja, Anmol Publishers
- Basics Of Animal Physiology by Monalisa Kar, Anmol Publishers
- Animal Physiology by K. A. Goyal, Rastogi Publishing
- Principles Of Genetics & Animal Breeding by F H KHAN, Jaypee Brothers
- Textbook Of Animal Diseases by Ashok Kumar, Sonali Publication
- Milk And Milk Products Technology by Subhash Biswas, Jaypee Brothers
- Handbook Of Animal Husbandry by Manoj Kumar Rai, Oxford Book Company
Step 3 : Prepare Important Topics
As you know the marks of the optional paper is crucial to decide your ranking in final list, you to have to perform exceptionally well in the paper of your choice.
Since the rest of the papers are compulsory for all, its only the optional paper that can make or break your fortune. So don’t try to do selective reading and gamble, as there is only one optional paper now.
The right strategy should be to go through each section of the syllabus and pick up the books and read them carefully. First pick up lighter books to clear your concepts and then go on to read the advance books.
Cover the entire syllabus and after reading each segment make notes of them simultaneously. Remember that your notes will be the final course material for reading and revising in future. So take your time and do a good job with it.
Go ahead and start your preparation with books listed here. If any section of the syllabus is not covered in these books, you can look for other suggestive readings.
Step 4 : Prepare Previous Question papers
Download UPSC Mains Agriculture Question Papers
- Question Paper of 2016 [Paper-I] [PDF Format]
- Question Paper of 2016 [Paper-II] [PDF Format]
- Question Paper of 2015 (Paper-I)
- Question Paper of 2015 (Paper-II)
- Question Paper of 2014 (Paper-I)
- Question Paper of 2014 (Paper-II)
- Question Paper of 2013 (Paper-I)
- Question Paper of 2013 (Paper-II)
- Question Paper of 2012 (Paper-I)
- Question Paper of 2012 (Paper-II)
- Question Paper of 2011 (Paper-I)
- Question Paper of 2011 (Paper-II)
How much time it takes to prepare?
4-5 months, if you study Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science 12-15 hours per week. This should be enough. Also, it depends on how much can you recall your graduation concepts.