International Current Affairs
- Russia has directed Google and Apple to remove LinkedIn from the local Android and iOS App stores.
- The directive comes weeks after a Russian court blocked the networking platform for disregarding a rule which requires companies to store Russian citizens’ data within the country’s borders.
MOUs & Agreements
- Indian PM Narendra Modi and visiting Portugal PM Antonio Costa have signed 6 MOUs. They are
- MoU in the Agriculture and Allied Sectors.
- MoU in the field of Information Technology and Electronics.
- MoU on Defence.
- MoU on Marine Research and Resources.
- MoU on Renewable Energy.
- MoU on the establishment of an ICCR Chair of Indian Studies in University of Lisbon.
National Current Affairs
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Portugese counterpart Antonio Costa (Chief Guest) have inaugurated Pravasi Bharatiya Divas in Bengaluru today.
- Theme of 2017 : “Redefining Engagement with the Indian Diaspora”
- Chief Guest : Dr Antonio Costa (Prime Minister of Portugal)
- Modi has announced that the government is going to launch Pravasi Kaushal Vikas Yojana targeted at Indian youth seeking employment overseas.
- Upholding the recent High Court order, the Supreme Court has maintained the ban on cockfighting in Andhra Pradesh and Telangana.
- 21 state associations have confirmed in writing to the Lodha Panel that they will comply with the committee’s reforms, following the latest Supreme Court verdict.
- With the confirmation, 24 administrators of different state units stand disqualified due to the age cap or cooling-off period listed in the reforms.
- Note : The Lodha Panel will now meet on January 11 to address clarifications.
- The completion of Delhi Metro’s Phase IV, which was cleared recently by the government, is going to make it the second-largest metro system and the largest outside China.
- Delhi Metro, which is currently the 11th largest, is estimated to carry about 70 lakh people regularly after completion.
- The Phase IV will add over 100-km to Delhi Metro network.
- The Budget session of Parliament to begin from 31st January 2017.
- The session will conclude on 12th April 2017.
- The 9th edition of Jaipur International Film Festival (JIFF) began in Jaipur last night in the presence of renowned film makers.
- The ceremony opened with tributes to veteran actor Om Puri who died of a massive heart attack today.
- The New Patriotic Party’s leader and former human rights lawyer Nana Akufo-Addo was sworn in as Ghana’s President in capital Accra after he defeated incumbent Ghana President John Mahama.
- Pakistan’s former army chief General Raheel Sharif has been appointed the head of the Saudi Arabia-led ‘Islamic Military Alliance‘, a coalition of Islamic countries fighting terrorism.
- The alliance is a platform for security cooperation which helps in training of troops, provides equipment, and involves religious scholars to help deal with Islamist extremism.
Science & Technology
- China is setting up the world’s highest altitude gravitational wave telescopes in a Tibet prefecture close to Line of Actual Control with India to detect faintest echoes resonating from universe which may reveal more about the Big Bang theory.
Business & Economy
- The government has directed all Banks and Post Offices to obtain PAN cards or Form 60 from all account holders by February 28 this year, as a part of its crackdown on black money.
- Banks were also asked to submit details linked to all cash deposits exceeding ₹2.5 lakh made after the demonetisation announcement, by January 15.
People in News
- NASA astronaut Jeanette Epps is set to become the first African-American crew member to board the International Space Station (ISS) when she flies to the orbital post in May 2018. She would be accompanied by veteran astronaut Andrew Feustel, who made his first trip to the ISS in 2011. More than 200 astronauts have visited the space station till date.
Sports Current Affairs
- Novak Djokovic has won the Qatar Open tennis title by beating Andy Murray.
- Rio Olympics 800-metre gold medallist David Rudisha has been named as the International Event ambassador for the ₹2.6 crore 14th Standard Chartered Mumbai Marathon to be held on January.
- Sania Mirza today won the year-opening Brisbane International title with partner American Bethanie Mattek-Sands after defeating Russian pair of Ekaterina Makarova and Elena Vesnina.
- However, Mirza, who has been number 1 in the WTA rankings for 91 weeks, lost the top spot to her partner after the win.