Improve your knowledge for competitive exams by going through the daily current affairs from our website. Reading day to day current affairs helps to improve your memory power for competitive exams cracking. Here we are providing daily current affairs latest & updated.
International Current Affairs
Here we are providing very important current affairs of international category for 4th December 2016.
- India is going to train the Qatari police for handling the security during the FIFA World Cup in the nation, scheduled to be held in 2022.
- The agreement for the training was reached upon by the visiting Qatari Prime Minister Sheikh Abdullah bin Nasser bin Khalifa Al Thani and India’s Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh today.
- The US Senate has unanimously passed a legislation to extend sanctions against Iran by 10 years.
- It was forwarded to President Barack Obama, who is expected to sign it into law delaying any potentially tougher actions until next year.
- While Iran warned that this would violate the Iran-US nuclear deal, US lawmakers denied the allegation and said it was “necessary”.
National Current Affairs
The National Current Affairs as on 4th December 2016 are as follows:
- India celebrates 45th Navy Day today
- The North Delhi Municipal Corporation has initiated online issuance of birth and death certificates following the civic body’s decision to digitise payment of taxes and factory licensing.
- Post this move, all birth and death certificates registered after 2003-04 can be obtained electronically.
- The UNICEF has teamed up with the Indian government to conduct the first-ever national survey to measure nutrition levels of children across the country.
- According to the survey, the data aims to quantify the micronutrients, vitamin and mineral deficiencies, as well as worm infestation among children.
- A total of 1,20,000 children in the age group 0-19 years will be surveyed.
- The Centre has approved the inclusion of 15 new castes and the modification in 13 other castes in the Central list of Other Backward Classes (OBCs).
- This will make the castes eligible for benefit under the existing welfare schemes and scholarships for the OBCs that are being administered by the Central Government.
All New Appointments list as on 4th December 2016 are as follows:
- US President-elect Donald Trump has named General Motors CEO Mary Barra to his economic and job-creation panel.
- The panel, set to meet for the first time in February, consists of CEOs from JPMorgan Chase, Walt Disney, Boeing, and other companies.
- Note : Barra is one of the only two women on the panel, the other being IBM CEO Ginni Rometty.
- Donald Trump has also announced that he will be appointing James ‘Mad Dog’ Mattis as US Secretary of Defence.
- Two-time Olympic gold medallist diver Sammy Lee (96) passed away.
- Lee, a Korean-American, became the first ever Asian-American to win an Olympic gold medal for the US after winning gold in the 1948 London Olympics.
Awards & Honors
- India’s representative Srinidhi Shetty has been crowned Miss Supranational 2016, an international beauty pageant.
- This marks the second time that India has won the pageant following the win by Asha Bhat in 2014.
- Sanjeev Sonawane, a visually impaired educationist who has developed educational programmes for hundreds of young blind people, was awarded the Helen Keller Award 2016 in the “role model supporter of increased employment opportunities for disabled persons” category.
- He is the head of education and extension department at the Savitribai Phule Pune University.
Science & Technology
- US defence agency DARPA has announced plans to launch an online gaming portal titled ‘Gamifying the Search for Strategic Surprise (GS3)‘ to find ways to combat national security threats.
Business & Economic Affairs
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) today announced it will shortly issue ₹20 and ₹50 banknotes in the Mahatma Gandhi Series-2005.
- The new ₹50 notes won’t have inset letters in the number panels and new ₹20 notes will have inset letter ‘L’, while both notes will have 2016 printed on them.
- The old ₹20 and ₹50 banknotes will, however, continue to be legal tender.
- The US House of Representatives has passed a Defence Bill pledging $900 million (around ₹6,100 crore) in assistance to Pakistan.
- A major part of the money is dependent on the Pentagon certifying that Pakistan is taking action against the militant group Haqqani Network.
- Note : Earlier this year, US denied $300 million in aid to Pakistan for failing to get the certification.
Sports Current Affairs
All Sports Updates as on 4th December 2016 are under:
- India clinched the Women’s T20 Asia Cup 2016 after defeating Pakistan by 17 runs in the final in Bangkok today.
- Note : This is India’s sixth successive Asia Cup title.
Question of the Day
- Why is December 4 celebrated as Navy Day in India?
- On 4th December 1971, the Indian Navy successfully executed Operation Trident, which was a devastating attack on Pakistan Naval Headquarters in Karachi.
- The operation, which marked the first use of anti-ship missiles in the region, did irreparable damage to the Karachi port during the 1971 Indo-Pak war.
- To commemorate this, December 4 is celebrated as the Indian Navy Day.