Improve your knowledge for competitive exams by going through the daily current affairs from our website. Reading day to day current affairs helps to improve your memory power for competitive exams cracking. Here we are providing daily current affairs latest & updated.
Current Affairs as on 18th February 2017
International Current Affairs
Here we are providing very important current affairs of international category for 18th February 2017.
- To regulate marriages of minority Hindus in the country, the Pakistani Senate today unanimously passed the Hindu Marriage Bill.
- The bill which is due for the President’s approval will become the first personal law for Pakistani Hindus.
- Note : It will help Hindus to get a documentary proof of their marriage and also discourage forced conversions to Islam.
- Finland’s Parliament today confirmed same-sex marriage law after members voted down a petition seeking to repeal the law.
- Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu is on 3 day visit to Nepal.
- During his stay, he will deliver key note address at the opening session of Nepal Infrastructure Summit 2017 organised by Confederation of Nepalese Industries (CNI).
- 2nd International Women’s Trade Expo was concluded today at Kathmandu (Nepal).
- Women entrepreneurs from south asian countries including India participating in expo.
- Nepal Vice President Nanda Bahadur Pun inaugurated the five-day expo that is being organized by Federation of Women’s Entrepreneurs of Nepal (FWEAN).
- Note : Federation of Woman Entrepreneurs’ Associations of Nepal (FWEAN) is an apex body of Women Entrepreneurs’ Associations in Nepal (WEAN).
- The main objective of the expo is to encourage women entrepreneurship and promote their products in domestic as well as international market.
- Theme of this Expo : “Work Together, Win Together”
- This theme illustrates and calls for the common effort of all women from South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) countries to work towards their socio-economic empowerment.
- Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan has inaugurated the 2-day South Asian Speakers’ Summit on ‘Achieving Sustainable Development Goals (SDG)‘ at Indore today.
- President of Inter-Parliamentary Union Saber Chowdhury, Speaker of National Assembly of Afghanistan Abdul Raouf Ibrahimi, Speaker of Bangladeshi Parliament Shirin Sharmin Chaudhury, Speaker of National Assembly of Bhutan Jigme Zangpo, Speaker of Sri Lankan Parliament Karu Jayasuriya, Speaker of Parliament of Maldives Abdulla Maseeh Mohammad, Speaker of Parliament of Nepal Onasari Gharti have been participating in the summit on February 18-19.
- Pakistan and Myanmar are not participating in the summit.
- The Summit proposes to adopt ‘Indore Declaration’ at the closing ceremony on February 19.
National Current Affairs
Most important National Current Affairs of 18th February 2017 are provided below:
- The 11th biennial edition of International Aerospace & Defence exhibition – AeroIndia 2017 concludes today in Bengaluru.
- The five-day event began on Tuesday with Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar making a strong pitch for ‘Make in India’.
- This exhibition turned out to be big sheer in numbers with no mega defence deals on the ground.
- The Delhi government has added 100 new GPS-enabled buses in its fleet and plans to add 250 more in the coming months.
- The passengers will be given tickets through e-ticketing machines.
- The new buses also have mobile charging sockets.
- The Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) is set to install 400 new card swipe machines for the facilitation of online transactions at its stations.
- Note : Cash transactions have significantly reduced at metro stations since demonetisation and DMRC has started accepting payments through Paytm.
- The Centre has made Aadhaar card mandatory for availing scholarships under the Central Sector Scholarship Scheme for College and University students.
Awards & Honors
- Bollywood Singer Lata Mangeshkar has been honoured with the ‘Legendary Award‘ by The Brand Laureate.
- Note : The Brand Laureate recognises world-class achievement in branding amongst individuals and companies.
People in News
- Tamil Nadu new Chief Minister Edappadi K Palanisamy today won the trust vote in the state Assembly.
- He proved the majority of his government in the House after 122 AIADMK MLAs voted in favour of him.
- Note : Palanisamy, a four-time MLA from Salem, was handpicked by AIADMK chief VK Sasikala after her conviction in the disproportionate assets case.
- The government today cut the tenure of Ajay Tyagi, the next chief of markets regulator the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI), by two years.
- Tyagi will now join as the SEBI Chairman for an initial period of three years, as against 5 years.
Science & Technology
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has successfully ground tested its indigenously developed Cryogenic Upper Stage engine for GSLV Mark III at its Liquid Propulsion Complex at Mahendragiri in Tirunelveli district of Tamil Nadu today.
- ISRO Chairman : AS Kiran Kumar
Business & Economic Affairs
- E-commerce platform Snapdeal is in talks to merge with Paytm’s e-commerce website, called Paytm Mall.
- The deal was initiated by the companies’ common investor, China’s Alibaba.
- Japan’s SoftBank is also expected to be a major beneficiary of the possible merger, as it reported a loss of ₹2,300 crore mainly from its Indian investments including Snapdeal.
- China will suspend all imports of coal from North Korea starting 19th February 2017.
- The ban would be effective until 31st December 2017.
- Former MP from Nagpur Jambuwantrao Dhote (78), also known as the ‘Lion of Vidarbha‘, passed away today.
- Elected to the Lok Sabha in 1972, the leader was a strong supporter of a separate state of Vidarbha.
- Writer and illustrator Dick Bruna (89), the creator of Miffy the cartoon rabbit, passed away .
- Over 80 million copies of the Miffy series have been sold since Bruna created them in 1955.