Improve your knowledge for competitive exams by going through the daily current affairs from our website. Reading day to day current affairs helps to improve your memory power for competitive exams cracking. Here we are providing daily current affairs latest & updated.
International Current Affairs
Here we are providing very important current affairs of international category for 15th March 2017.
- Today is World Consumer Rights Day.
- In India this day is celebrated as Viswa Upabhokta Adhikar Diwas.
- On March 15, 1962 US President John F. Kennedy gave a speech on consumer rights which led to the creation of the Consumer Bill of Rights.
- Consumer rights activist Anwar Fazal later proposed the observance of a “World Consumer Rights Day” marking that date, and from 15 March 1983 consumer organizations began observing that date as an occasion to promote basic rights of consumers.
- Theme for World Consumer Rights Day 2017 : ‘Building a Digital World Consumers can Trust’
- The Pakistan Army is set to send an army brigade to Saudi Arabia to protect the country’s borders from Islamic State and Houthi rebels in the ongoing Yemen war.
- The two-year-old war in Yemen has killed more than 10,000 people and injured another 40,000 in which Saudi Arabia is supporting Yemeni President Mansour Hadi against the Houthi rebels.
- Representatives of 23 Asian countries are meeting in Islamabad, Pakistan to talk about creating a regional block similar to the European Union, Pakistan officials announced today.
- US President Donald Trump’s administration is considering a military proposal that would designate various undeclared battlefields worldwide to be “temporary areas of active hostility“.
- If approved, the measure would give military commanders the right to launch strikes, raids and campaigns against enemy forces for up to six months in places such as Yemen and Somalia.
- The US today announced that it is working with India and NSG members to push for New Delhi‘s membership in the elite grouping, indicating that there is no change in America’s policy on the issue under the Trump administration.
- A State Department spokesperson said the United States supports India’s full membership in the four multilateral export control regimes and believe that India is ready for NSG membership.
National Current Affairs
Most important National Current Affairs of 15th March 2017 are provided below:
- After the recent Assembly polls in 5 states, as many as 16 states are being ruled by the BJP.
- These 16 states include all legislative assemblies where the BJP is in a coalition, namely Andhra Pradesh, Goa, Maharashtra, Manipur, Nagaland and Jammu-Kashmir.
- Note : The Congress is ruling six assemblies including Union Territory Puducherry and Bihar, where it is in a coalition.
- The Karnataka government today allocated ₹100 crore for setting up of Amma Canteens across the state to provide breakfast for ₹5 and lunch, dinner for ₹10 each.
- Around 200 Namma Canteens will be set up in Bengaluru alone.
- Further, the State lifted VAT on liquor, announced free eggs for Anganwadi workers and free LPG service for 5 lakh poor families.
The New Appointments list as on this day are as follows:
- Ending 15 years of Congress rule in Manipur, BJP leader Nongthombam Biren Singh was sworn in as the state’s Chief Minister in Imphal today.
- Y Joykumar Singh of the National People’s Party was sworn in as the deputy chief minister at the Raj Bhawan in Imphal.
- LinkedIn Co-founder Reid Hoffman announced today that he has joined the board of directors at Microsoft.
- This follows Microsoft’s $26.2 billion acquisition of LinkedIn last year.
Banking & Economic Affairs
- State Bank of India (SBI) today announced a one-time farm loan settlement scheme worth Rs 6,000 crore primarily for tractors.
- Managing director Rajnish Kumar has announced that the scheme will result in the bank taking a 40 per cent haircut (a reduction in the stated value of an asset) on outstanding tractor loans as of September 2016.
- Note : SBI’s total farm loan portfolio is Rs 1.25 trillion and Kumar said the tractor loan book is about Rs 6,000 crore.
Science & Technology
- The world’s first internet domain ‘Symbolics.com‘ was registered 32 years ago, on this day (15th March) in the year 1985, and still exists today.
- It was created by the now obsolete Massachusetts-based computer manufacturer Symbolics.
Sports Current Affairs
All Sports updates as on 15th March 2017 are as follows:
- The South African city of Durban has been stripped of its rights to host the 2022 Commonwealth Games after it failed to meet the eligibility criteria due to financial constraints.
- Following this, the Indian Olympic Association is mulling to bid for the event subject to government support.
- Note : Birmingham and Liverpool in England are also keen on bidding for the event.
- ICC Chairman Shashank Manohar has resigned from his post with immediate effect.
- Note : Former President of the BCCI, Manohar became ICC’s first independent chairman in May 2016 for a two-year term, succeeding N Srinivasan.
- Bangladesh has become the quickest nation to complete a century of Tests after they took the field against Sri Lanka in Colombo today.
- The Bangladeshi team, which also became the 10th nation to play 100 Tests, took 16 years, 4 months and 6 days to achieve the feat, surpassing Sri Lanka’s record of 18 years, 3 months and 29 days.