Improve your knowledge for competitive exams by going through the daily current affairs from our website. Reading day to day current affairs helps to improve your memory power for competitive exams cracking. Here we are providing daily current affairs latest & updated.
International Current Affairs
- Myanmar today announced that it will build border demarcation fencing with India, while also stating that the construction will not restrict the regular travel of citizens of both the nations in accordance with their tradition and custom.
- Myanmar will construct this fence in its Naga self-administered zone, 10 metres from the demarcation border line.
- The hotline established between outgoing US President Barack Obama and Prime Minister Narendra Modi will continue to exist even after Obama demits office, a presidential aide has suggested.
- It was the only new hotline that was established during the Obama Administration.
- India is also the fourth country after Russia, Britain, and China with which the US has a hotline.
Also Read Current Affairs of:
National Current Affairs
- Today (10th January) is World Hindi Day.
- The day is commemorated every year with the objective to promote use of Hindi language abroad.
- The first World Hindi Conference was organized on 10 January 2006 in Nagpur and since then every 10 January is observed as the World Hindi Day.
- At present Hindi as a language is spoken in more than 20 countries around the world and is being taught in 150 Universities of the world.
- Important Note :
- For the first time, the UAE soldiers will march at Delhi’s Rajpath during the 2017 Republic Day parade.
- This has come after UAE Crown Prince Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan was invited to be the Chief Guest for the Republic Day celebrations.
- Tamil Nadu Chief Minister O Panneerselvam today declared all state districts as drought-hit and waived land tax while announcing other sops for farmers.
- He further announced ₹160 crore and ₹350 crore worth measures to mitigate water crisis in urban and rural local bodies, respectively.
- Note : Tamil Nadu witnessed a shortfall of 19% and 61% rain in southwest and northeast monsoon, respectively.
- A mobile application ‘Mumbai Toilet Locator‘ has been launched by Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) to help people find public toilets.
- Currently available for Android users, the application will provide the location of 800 toilets across the city.
- Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis today activated 500 WiFi hotspots at various locations across the city of Mumbai, and announced that Mumbai WiFi is the largest public WiFi service in the country.
- Cuba today appointed Vice Admiral Julio Cesar Gandarilla as the Interior Minister of the country.
- Gandarilla had served as head of the counter-intelligence department for 16 years and is the third man to hold the post in less than two years.
- Note : The Interior Ministry is responsible for overseeing the country’s security apparatus and counter-intelligence.
- Amid accusations of rape and assault on security forces, CRPF has deployed its first woman officer in Bastar.
- Usha Kiran (27), an Assistant Commandant, has been deployed in the insurgency-hit region.
- Her presence helps counter the Maoist propaganda of sexual offences by security forces, senior CRPF officials said.
- Former Tiger Global executive Kalyan Krishnamurthy, who joined Flipkart in June 2016 as head of commerce unit, has been named as the new CEO of Flipkart.
- He has replaced Co-founder Binny Bansal.
- Note : Bansal will be moving to a newly created position of Group CEO.
- Chinese smartphone maker Gionee today appointed Indian captain Virat Kohli as its brand ambassador.
- He has joined actress Alia Bhatt, who became the company’s brand ambassador in August last year.
Business & Economic Affairs
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated India’s first international exchange ‘India INX‘ at the International Financial Service Centre (IFSC) of Gujarat today.
- A Bombay Stock Exchange subsidiary, India INX has a turnaround time of 4 microseconds and will operate for 22 hours a day.
- It will allow international investors and NRIs to trade from anywhere across the globe.
- American technology company IBM has become the first company to receive more than 8,000 US patents in one year in 2016.
- With 8,088 patents, IBM received an average of 22 patents per day last year.
- IBM was followed by Samsung and Canon with 5,518 and 3,665 patents respectively.
- Technology major Google received the fifth most number of patents at 2,835.
- After selling its core internet business to Verizon for $4.8 billion, search engine Yahoo will rename its remaining business to ‘Altaba‘.
- Altaba will be a combination of Yahoo’s stake in Alibaba Group and Yahoo Japan.
- Online real estate search portal Housing today announced its merger with News Corp-backed PropTiger in an all-stock deal.
- As a part of the transaction, the joint entity will receive investments of $50 million from News Corp’s REA Group and $5 million from Japan’s SoftBank.
- Note : PropTiger’s CEO Dhruv Agarwala will serve as CEO of the joint entity.
Awards & Honors
- World football’s governing body, FIFA hosted the first Best FIFA Football Awards of the yea 2016r, in Zurich today.
- Cristiano Ronaldo was named the best male player of the year.
- Carli Lloyd was named the best female footballer of the year.
- Leicester City’s coach Claudio Ranieri was named the best coach of the year.
- IIT Kharagpur alumnus Parag Havaldar has won an Academy Award for scientific and technical achievements this year.
- He is being honoured for the development of expression-based facial performance-capture technology at Sony Pictures Imageworks.
- British singer-songwriter Peter Sarstedt (75), who was best known for the 1969 song ‘Where Do You Go To My Lovely,’ passed away.
- Sarstedt, who wrote over a dozen albums during a 50-year-long career, was born in Delhi to parents working as civil servants during the British Raj.