best offers online classes ca cs cma

GATE Geology and Geophysics (GG) Syllabus 2018

GATE Geology and Geophysics (GG) Syllabus 2018 – Topics. In the new GATE GG 2018 exam pattern, 85%  weightage of the total marks is for the Core Subjects and the rest 15%  marks dedicated to  General Aptitude which includes (Numerical Ability, Verbal Ability, Reasoning).GATE 2018 Syllabus for Geology and Geophysics (GG) is made available here for your reference. You can check GATE 2018 Geology & Geophysics syllabus and use it for your GATE 2018 preparation. Go ahead and prepare well for the exam. We wish you all the very best.

Also Check: GATE Geology and Geophysics Engineering Question Papers

GATE Geology and Geophysics (GG) Syllabus 2018

GATE Geology and Geophysics (GG) Syllabus 2017

GATE 2018 – Paper Pattern for Geology and Geophysics (GG)

Paper Sections Marks Distribution
Subject Questions 85% of the total marks.
General Aptitude 15% of the total marks.

GATE 2018 Syllabus for General Aptitude (GA)

General Aptitude Questions
All the papers will have a few questions that test the General Aptitude (Language and Analytical Skills), apart from the core subject of the paper.


General Aptitude section is common for all papers. You can get the GATE 2018 Syllabus for General Aptitude (GA)  here:  Check GATE General Aptitude (GA) Syllabus 2018

GATE 2018 Syllabus for Geology and Geophysics (GG)

You can check the GATE 2017 Syllabus for Geology and Geophysics (GG) Here:

GATE Geology and Geophysics (GG) are the 2 streams of knowledge which merge into a single river flowing through a common channel. GATE Paper for this field is being conducted in a cumulative manner for these fields. The syllabus for GATE GG Exam is being described below studying as per which will help you to gain much higher score on the exam.

Under Geology section, there are several basic topics to be studied for the exam.

These will include-

Igneous rocks (classification, forms, textures, magmatic differentiation), Metamorphism, role of fluids in metamorphism, metamorphic provinces of India, sedimentary and metamorphic rocks, Stress, strain, primary and secondary structures, methods of projection, GIS, Crystalsymmetry, crystal chemistry, optical mineralogy, folding, Morphology, microfossils and palaeoflora, Geomorphic processes and agents; development and evolution of landforms, Oremineralogy and optical properties of ore minerals, sampling, ore reserve estimation, geostatistics, mining methods, marine geology and ocean resources, Engineering properties of rocks and soils, role of geology in the construction of engineering structures including dams, tunnels and excavation sites, principles of remote sensing, interaction of energy with earth’s surface, air-photo interpretation, multispectral remote sensing in visible

Geophysics section – Topics 

The earth as a planet (motion, gravity field shape, size) Clairaut’s theorem, velocity, pressure, temperature, electrical & magnetic properties of the earth, earthquakes (causes, measurements, magnitude, intensity, focal mechanisms, earthquake quantification, geomagnetic field), Scalar and vector potential fields, Laplace, Maxwell, Green’s theorem, Basic concepts of forward and inverse problems of geophysics, ‘G’ and ‘g’ units of measurement, absolute and relative gravity measurements; Land, airborne, shipborne and bore-hole gravity surveys, density estimates of rocks, regional & residual gravity separation, depth rules, calculation of mass, concepts of D.C. resistivity measurement, Dar-Zarrouck parameters, reduction of layers, equivalence and suppression, Basic concept of EM induction, Seismic methods of prospecting, Geophysical signal processing

There are some topics which are common to both geology & Geophysics which are-

atmosphere and greenhouse effect, an interior of the earth, paleomagnetism, soil formation, Basic structural geology, mineralogy, stratigraphic principles. Earth and Planetary system, properties of rocks and soils, coal and petroleum resources of India. Radiometric prospecting for oil, mineral, and groundwater, introductory well logging, Introduction to remote sensing

For more detailed syllabus download the PDF file given below-

GATE Geology & Geophysics Detailed Syllabus DOWNLOAD


Also Read:

GATE 2018 Notification FAQs – GATE 2018 Login, Application form GATE Eligibility Criteria
GATE syllabus 2018 Reference Books For Gate 2018 Exam How to Prepare for GATE 2018 Exam?
GATE Question Papers GATE Answer Keys GATE Results

SuperProfs– India’s Largest Online Coaching Platform is offering FREE Trail Classes for GATE-2018 for streams of ME, ECE, EE, IE, CSE & CE. Now students from all over India can learn from India’s Most Experienced Professors online and get their dream career.