Company Secretary Course Details | How to Become a CS
Career as a Company Secretary is not only prestigious and financially rewarding but also carries with it a high level of job satisfaction. There are 3 stages in Company Secretary Course i.e. Foundation, Executive and Professional. So if you want to become CS, you should complete these 3 stages.
The Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI) is a premier National Professional body established by Act of Parliament to develop and regulate the Profession of Company Secretaries. ICSI imparts training in Company Secretaryship by Distance Learning (by correspondence) enabling students to qualify Company Secretary Course. The Institute provides “Company Secretary Course Material” for all the subjects at the time of Registration. There is also provision for Optional Oral Coaching classes.
A Company Secretary or a Qualified CS is:
- An in-house legal expert; a compliance officer of the Company.
- An expert in corporate laws, securities laws & capital market and corporate governance
- Chief adviser to the board of directors on best practices in corporate governance
- Responsible for all regulatory compliance of company
- Corporate planner and strategic manager
Company secretaries (CS) are responsible to look after Company law, corporate strategies, security market, and other similar issues. Needless to say is a company’s compliance with regulations and its smooth running is dependent heavily on company Secretaries. If you have an inclination towards challenging job profiles and want to make a career as a company Secretary, CS qualification is the degree to look forward to. CS qualification can be obtained by giving the CS exam organised by The Institute of Company Secretaries (http://www.icsi.edu/). The ICSI membership plays a vital role in job openings in the corporate world and for recruitment in state and central government posts.
ICSI offices across India
The ICSI has its Headquarters at ICSI House 22 Institutional Area, Lodi Road, New Delhi and Regional offices at Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai & New Delhi and 69 Chapters located in various cities in India. ICSI has 66 Examination Centers scattered all over India, including one overseas center in Dubai.
Roles of a Company Secretary
- To report to the Board about compliance with the provisions of the company’s Act.
- Make sure that the firm complies with the applicable secretarial standards;
- Provide guidance to the directors of the company, as they may require, with regard to their power, duties and responsibilities.
- Collaborate and advise the Board in ensuring good corporate governance and encouraging the firm to follow healthy practices
- Responsible for all regulatory compliances of company
Today, Demand for Company Secretary is on a rise in India. According to a report in Hindustan Times, there is a demand of approximately 7,000 company secretaries in India and the demand is only expected to increase in years to come. The greater demand for company secretaries is also because of the focus on good governance amongst the new-age companies and the next generation corporate leaders.
Existing Practical experience and training requirements
The students are required to undergo the following trainings:
7 days Student Induction Program (SIP) – within six months of Registration in Executive Program or exempted therefrom for becoming eligible to seek enrolment to appear in Executive Program Examination.
70 hours compulsory computer training program- for becoming eligible to seek enrolment to appear in Executive Program Examination.
8 days Executive Development Program (EDP) – after passing the Executive Program and before commencement of 15 months training.
25 hours of Professional Development Program (PDP) during 15 months training
15 months training after passing the Executive Program or Professional Program on completion of the Student Induction Program and Executive Development Program with companies and Company Secretaries in Practice registered with the Institute for imparting training
3 months practical training is required to be undergone by the student if the student completes the professional program examination and exempted from undergoing at least 12 months training on the basis of Company Secretaries Regulations,1982, as amended on submitting the documents to the Institute and fulfills the requirement of Regulation 48. This training will be exempted to the students who have undergone 15 months training.
15 days training in a specialized agency such as the Registrar of Companies (ROC) / Stock Exchange / Financial and Banking Institution/Management Consultancy Firm can only be commenced if the student completes SIP, EDP, 15 months training and having passed professional program examination.
15 days Management Skills Orientation Program (MSOP)- after Professional Program and on completion of Executive Development Program and 15 months training
1. The students can be exempted from undergoing training totally or partially depending on the practical experience possessed by them on fulfilling the requirement of the Company Secretaries
2. Regulations,1982, as amended, on submitting the relevant documents.
After a student passing the Professional Program may enroll as ‘Licentiate ICSI’ at his/her option until completion of training requirements.
After qualifying the CS Professional Program and on completion of training as provided under the CS Regulations, a candidate is enrolled as an Associate Member of the Institute and he can use the descriptive title “ACS” after his / her name.
Further Academic Pursuits:
- The Company Secretary Course is recognized by the various Universities for admission to Ph.D Course.
- Utilization of services of members by various professional/educational bodies for academic activities
- ICSI conducts Post Membership Qualification (PMQ) Course in Corporate Governance.
The Headquarters and Regional Offices offer placement services to the Members of the Institute:
- Names of candidates are sponsored by prospective employers on request
- Members looking for a job may register online on the Institute’s Website: www.icsi.edu for availing Placement assistance.
- Vacancies received from companies are also displayed on the website www.icsi.edu
- Campus Interviews are conducted to assist members for a job and students for 15 months training
Financial Assistance/ Scholarship
Prizes, Merit Scholarship and Merit-cum-Means Assistance
- The Institute awards Prizes, merit scholarships to the meritorious students
- Merit-cum-Means Assistance is granted to the economically weaker students
How to Become CS | Company Secretary Course Details
Phases to become a Company Secretary
Foundation program: Students looking to do CS after 12th need to go through this stage.
Executive program: This course is for Graduates of all streams with the exception of Fine Arts.
Professional program: One can Complete this after completing the intermediate exam of the CS course.
The Student who would like to join the Course after passing the Graduation has to undergo two stages of the Company Secretaryship i.e.
Foundation Programme can be pursued by 10+2 pass or equivalent students of Arts, Science or Commerce stream (Excluding Fine Arts)
Executive Programme can be pursued by a Graduate of all streams except Fine Arts.
Professional Programme can be pursued only after clearing the Executive Programme of CS Course.
“ADMISSION TO THE CS COURSE is open throughout the year. Examinations are held twice a year in June & December.”
Subjects for CS Course –
Fee Structure for CS Course
1.CS Foundation Programme – Rs.4500/-
2.CS Executive Programme
Rs.9000/- for Commerce Graduates
Rs 12,500/- for CPT passed of ICAI / Foundation passed of ICAI-CMA
Rs 10,000/- for Non Commerce Students
Rs 8,500/- for CS Foundation passed students
3.CS Professional Programme – Rs.12,000/-
Foundation Programme – Rs. 1200/-
Executive Programme – Rs. 1200/- per Module
Professional Programme – Rs. 1200/- per Module
Last date for submission of application for appearing in the examination
25th March (with late fee of Rs. 250/- till 9th April)
25th September (with late fee of Rs. 250/- till 10th October)
Few Important Links for CS students
|CS Syllabus||CS Question Paper||CS Result|
|CS Registration||CS Previous Year Paper||CS Admit Card|
|CS Exam Dates||CS Solved Paper/ Suggested Answer||CS Application Dates|
You can watch a few demo lectures by SuperProfs for CS and see if you would want to consider subscribing to our video series for a better shot at clearing the CS examination.